Cats and Kids

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Windy Night

I was awoken to a violent storm last night. I don't think I've heard wind and rain and thunder or seen lightening like that for a long time. At around 1:30am we were jolted out of a sound sleep by the storm. It lasted for about an hour. Although, I'm really not sure since the power went out around 2:00am. This morning I took a quick walk to survey the damage just around our house. Since we live in the middle of an orchard I counted 50 trees down just in a 10 acre area. So I'd hate to see the rest of our 600 acres. I hate it when stuff like this happens. Especially when you see trees that are only five years old and haven't started to produce enough fruit to pay for themselves yet and now we have to start all over again.
I'm also curious to see how the peaches faired last night. Yesterday was the first time we picked anything off them since planting them four years ago.
It could be worse. Apparently, there was a tornado touch down about 15 kilometers from here. We didn't suffer any structural damage, that I know of. So we were blessed that way.
And another good thing is that it isn't nearly humid today as it has been the past week. So let's hope that the humidity won't be back for a while. Give us all a chance to breathe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home